The School of Medicine was founded in 1942 and bears ever since as its oﬃcial emblem a bust of Hippocrates (commonly referred to as the “Father of Medicine”). It is one of the four Schools of AUTh’s Faculty of Health Sciences and the largest School of AUTh. It accounts more than 30.000 graduates, some of them with a great impact in science and humanity (examples – names). It was recently ranked in an international evaluation as top among the country’s seven University Medical Schools. Its human resources are of high quality, with faculty members who dedicated years in postgraduate education and professional training abroad and who continuously produce a high-level scientiﬁc and clinical workload (h-index + impact factor).
The School of Medicine has now more than 3.000 registered undergraduate students, 1.000 postgraduate students (in 21 postgraduate programme of studies), 1.000 doctoral candidates, about 400 teaching staff and 82 Medical Departments and Laboratories separated in 9 Sectors: Anatomy and Pathology, Physiology and Pharmacology, Biological Sciences and Preventive Medicine, Radiology – Medical Physics and Informatics, Sensory Organs, Child’s Health, Neurosciences, Surgery, and Internal Medicine.
The School collaborates with all Hospitals of Thessaloniki; its Medical Departments are located to the following premises:
- AHEPA University Hospital of Thessaloniki,
- General Hospital of Thessaloniki G. Gennimatas – Agios Dimitrios,
- Hippokration General Hospital of Thessaloniki,
- Hospital of Venereal and Skin Diseases of Thessaloniki,
- Papageorgiou General Hospital of Thessaloniki,
- G. Papanikolaou General Hospital of Thessaloniki,
- Psychiatric Hospital of Thessaloniki.
The School of Medicine is in full cooperation with the Department of European Educational Programs of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in the context of Erasmus mobility (incoming and outgoing) for students, faculty members of all levels and staﬀ.